|I did this - once upon a time.|
I think I painted it with a wooden skewer on (what looks like) a bit of a box.
I like the Mi Go, and I think that they should be able to turn up in pretty much any setting or genre that doesn't specifically exclude them.
- 1 nipper attack for d6 hits, or by weapon, or grapple (then drop you from a great height)
- the AC bonus is for a high average Dex, and they can wear armour
- average Int is 13, with a 25% chance of being able to cast d3 spells (or same % of 1-3 caster levels, though that's much the same)
- any Mi Go weapon (including all but the most straightforward hand weapons) has a 40% chance of being used incorrectly by a human - 50/50 it's aimed at the wielder/ aimed at the floor
- they are unaffected by silence/deafness and darkness/blindness because of their weird eyeless heads - you might choose to extend this to all visual and aural effects, including illusions
- my gut tells me that Mi Go are familiar with psionics, but might not be psionicists - they might even be completely immune and unable to use them
If you kill one of these Mi Go...
- It bubbles and rots away in 1 round, leaving a slimy puddle.
- It abruptly transforms into dense mineral - Dex check at -3 or the killing weapon is stuck. It crumbles to dust in 1-4 rounds.
- Its flesh blackens and shrivels away, leaving an apparently human skeleton - on the next round, the bones explode for 1-6 hits to all within 10'.
- It dissolves into a 10' acid pool that evaporates in 1-6 rounds - d8 hits per round and you have to throw away your boots.
- It bursts into flames, causing 2-8 hits to all within 10'.
- It transforms into a lifeless duplicate of whoever struck the killing blow, appearing to be a normal dead body in all respects until it disintegrates into black soot after 3 days.
To these Mi Go, human brains are...
- Delicious, extracted messily in 1-4 rounds.
- A delicacy if prepared correctly, extracted carefully over 1-4 turns.
- Crude computers for their organic robots, shelled like peas in 1-4 rounds.
- Part of their dastardly plans for infiltration and conquest, carefully removed and sustained with uncanny surgery over 1-4 turns.
- The raw material for spawning servitors and minions, harvested enthusiastically in 1-4 rounds.
- Delicate experimental subjects for developing psionic biotechnology, painstakingly and reverentially separated from their host over 1-4 turns.
The hummadruz of these Mi Go...
- Makes humans of 0-1st level drowsy - save vs. spells at +2 per round or nod off; they will have forgotten the 2 minutes prior to nodding off (AD&D 1e forget spell).
- Hits the Brown Note - save vs. paralysis each round or become nauseated/sick (BECMI Centipede venom, Cave Locust spit, Troglodyte stench etc.) and you have to throw away your underwear.
- Makes eyes vibrate, ears buzz and noses tickle - save vs. paralysis each round or be afflicted by AD&D 1e blur spell.
- Fills you with unease and intrusive thoughts - save vs. spells each round or be subject to fear.
- Prevents spoken, written, telepathic and electronic/mechanical communication.
- Causes bleeding from every orifice - 1 hit per round, plus save vs. effects as 2 above.
In addition to any hand weapons and projectiles, some of these Mi Go are armed with...
- Energy Mantles: + 5 AC, +5 to all saves; if you strike them, take 2-12 hits plus save vs. paralysis or stunned 1-4 rounds; primarily defensive, but they can make a touch attack vs. unarmoured AC with the same effect; can levitate 12 turns/day, capable of leaving planetary atmosphere/gravity and can sustain one air-breathing prisoner/passenger.
- Flame Pistols: 1-6 charges, fires a 20' streamer of burning gas for 2-12 hits.
- Shock Pistols: 1-8 charges, fires a 20' burst of blue sparks for 1-4 hits, but you must also save vs. death (or your heart stops, go to 0 hp) and save vs. paralysis or stunned 1-4 rounds.
- Cloaking Devices: non-magical illusion to appear as a humanoid up to 10' tall; cannot be disbelieved, can only be seen through with truesight or second sight. Anyone looking at them with dark- or infra-vision will also be fooled, but must save vs. paralysis each round or be affected as hummadruz result 3.
- Hypnotic Lanterns: flickering blue-white octagonal cylinder mounted on a pole; save vs. spells at +2 each round or fall under non-magical hypnosis - cannot look away from the Lantern and will move as directed by the Mi Go (perfect for brain extractions). Anyone with dark- or infra-vision looking at the Lantern must save vs. paralysis each round or roll 2d3 against the hummadruz results above.
- Personal Force Fields: protection from normal missiles, resist cold/fire, +3 AC, +1 to all saves, repel anyone within 5' once per round, hurling them 20' for 2-7 hits unless they save vs. dragon breath; can levitate 6 turns/day, but cannot use repel attack while doing so.
The purpose of these Mi Go is...
- To civilise the savages.
- To domesticate the animals.
- To uplift the primitives.
- To extract rare resources.
- To go boldly/ "What Is This Earth Thing You Call Kissing?"
- To exterminate all the brutes.
In human terms, these Mi Go are...
- Absent-minded professors.
- Evangelists of galactic transhumanity.
- Unsentimental project managers.
- Millennially patient and reclusive.
- Benevolent colonisers heartbroken to punish you for your ingratitude.
- Full-on Mars Attacks space-bastards.
In this case, the Mi Go are fronted by...
- Scro (Spelljammer space orcs).
- Mind Flayers and/or Doppelgangers.
- Oards (BECMI module Where Chaos Reigns).
- Human agents/cultists (up to and including national governments and 'deep states').
- Dragons and/or Githyanki (1st edition AD&D, when they were pals with Red Dragons).