|Image: dark blob amidst the stalagmites.|
1st edition Black Pudding; courtesy of Trampier.
The Black Pudding: a copyright-free Shoggoth in D&D form. Ten Hit Dice of immune-to-almost-everything, metal-devouring dungeon menace, converted here for CoC 5e.
Nowhere near the beast the CoC Shoggoth is (closer to a Formless Spawn, statistically), but the investigators are probably just as dead.
AD&D Black Pudding, Crawling Horror.
- Pseudopod 60%, 3-24 (3d8) + db
- STR vs. STR or you're held and suffer 3-24 hits per round from its tiny mouths and corrosive saliva; STR vs. STR is required to escape, and your companions can attempt to add their STR to help pull you away.
- Any metal or wooden object, including armour, struck takes 3-24 acid damage immediately.
- None, but all metal and wooden objects striking it take 3-24 acid damage immediately.
- Physical blows and electricity cause it to split in half:
- Half: STR 15, CON 10, SIZ 13, db +d4, hp 11
- Quarter: STR 7, CON 5, SIZ 6, db n/a, hp 5
- Half (human sized) and quarter (big dog size) Puddings have the same Pseudopod attack as a full Pudding; they will attempt to rejoin over d4 rounds.
- Immune to cold and impaling weapons, including firearms; these attacks will not cause it to split.
- Take normal damage from fire and avoid it.