A dusty slice of #BOSR, the Croglin Vampire IRL is the monster in a true story from UK olden times.
Croglin -though it's a place-name- is also quite a Nintendo-sounding word, so I've kept it to define a monster type. Here are three different versions, two D&D adjacent and one for BRP/CoC 5e - they all play differently.
|Stefano Tambellini, from The Vampire of Croglin by Terry Deary.|
Croglin Vampire for Old School D&D Adjacent (Basic).
Armour Class +4 Hit Dice 2 Move 125% Normal Human Save F2 Morale 10
- Claw/claw/bite 1-3/1-3/1-3 + paralysis
- Regenerates 1 hp/round
- Always strikes first in the first combat round (unless surprised), and gets +1 to Initiative thereafter.
- The hideous appearance and ferocious attack of a Croglin Vampire requires mortals of 3HD/levels or fewer to save vs. death ray or flee in terror.
- Turn as Ghouls (alternatively, Morale Check if confronted with flaming torch or holy symbol).
- Cross between a Giant Shrew and a Thoul, reskinned.
- Treasure and Number Appearing as Ghouls.
- Probably as intelligent as and friendly with/tolerant of Ghouls.
- Undead, but victims do not become more Croglin Vampires.
Croglin Vampire for Old School D&D Adjacent (Advanced/Expert).
- Claw/claw/bite for 1-3/1-3/1-3; if both claws hit, the bite does automatically.
- The bite causes paralysis (save applies), and drains blood (1-3 hp/round - or 1 STR/turn, if it has the leisure).
- If you are alone and you see a Croglin Vampire, you must save vs. paralysis - this paralysis is broken by the arrival of an intelligent living being, the monster moving out of sight, or the monster causing you damage (although by then you may be paralysed by the bite).
- Regenerates 1 hp/round, except from fire and/or holy damage.
- At 0 hp or lower, it falls helpless and can be destroyed by any of the usual methods for dispatching a Vampire in your setting, but will be able to move and fight as soon as it reaches 1 positive hp.
- The hideous appearance and ferocious attack of a Croglin Vampire requires mortals of 3HD/levels or fewer to save vs. death ray or flee in terror (50% dropping handheld objects).
- Turn as Wights (alternatively, Morale Check if confronted with flaming torch or holy symbol).
- Number Appearing as Wights; Treasure will be Incidental.
- Undead; STR drained victims not blessed/destroyed/dismembered will return as Croglin Vampires within a week - they are not automatically under their creator's command.
- Immune to sleep, charm, hold and cold.
- Not destroyed by sunlight, but must immediately flee to their lair at the breaking of the dawn.
Croglin Vampire, Is It 'A' or 'The'?
- Grapple DEX x 3% or STR/SIZ vs. STR/SIZ, every successful Grapple is followed by an automatic Bite (roll only for impale)
- Bite DEX x 3%, 1-3 damage + blood drain (1 STR)
- characteristic loss is recovered at the rate of 1 point per full day of rest or per week of normal activity