Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Other People's Stuff - FKR Challenge & Monster Horror Show.

CW: nostalgic digression.

I accepted Jim Parkin's Design Challenge over at d66 Classless Kobolds, and it turned out to be a great way to think and make. Link to my attempt - I'm planning use this template in future to put stuff together when I can't yet see the whole of it.

My favourite I've seen so far is this one based on The Terror.

I could see it being turned into a full-on mini-campaign with optional additions from There's Something In The Ice and/or Do Not Let Us Die In The Dark Night Of This Cold Winter. Both of these are system minimal/ system agnostic enough that they're already FKR adjacent.

I've only been dimly aware of FKR up till now, but the system agnosticism strongly appeals to me - as well as the random tables that are part of these world-building exercises. Apparently, this is how Traveller was played BITD - so I'm sorry that I never took a proper look at it in my formative years.

Talking of formative years, FKR also puts me in mind of Monster Horror Show (which I'd love to be able to look at again, but not so much that I'm going to drop £312.17 on it).

I think I paid about 15-20 quid for a copy of Maelstrom the other year, but interest and nostalgia have their limits - and mine is a lot lower than £300.

MHS provides you with rules and monsters and spells and magic items and then says that you don't actually need any of that to run a game - you can use the Absolutely Anything Table instead. Just decide on a difficulty/likelihood for the action/situation and roll the dice - a universal mechanic using d6.

I think it even goes on to say that you don't even need to use the table, just make a judgment. Seems at least FKR adjacent.

IIRC, the included adventure is a werewolf mystery with a dungeon that (a possible false memory, I'll admit) changed depending on whether it was day or night when you went in. It had a large NPC cast, and I think the werewolf's identity was undecided at the start. I remember there being little guidance, but a sense of social space beyond The Dungeon.


8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Monster Horror Show! I though I was clued up on the early UK scene, but apparently not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean you know something about the 2nd Dragonroar boxed set, The Zhevezh Gauntlet?

      Delete
    2. Ha! No, you have me there too, I'm afraid.

      Delete
    3. Oh dear - I had been hoping there was someone who knew anything about the Ballad of Skiirn La'ana (unpublished? module).

      Guess I'll just have to make it up then.

      Delete
    4. I have The Ballad of Skiirn La'Ana

      Delete
    5. As I've been unable to find out any information about it, or confirm whether that was an undead/vampire War Hedgehog in the advert, I would love to know more.

      Delete
  2. I have both Zhevezh Gauntlet and Skiirn La'ana (yes, it was published).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be keen to learn more about either!

      The Zhevezh taped adventure is on YT (at least, it was about a year and half ago), but I thought the Ballad never made it past the advertising stage.

      Important question: is that illustration of an undead War Hedgehog rising from its tomb, and does it feature in the adventure?

      Delete